Wanted something delicious for lunch, and Shannon Bennett had a nice complicated recipe for Welsh Rarebit, which I largely ignored in order to make a simpler version. (Out of impatience with the 3 hours suggested refrigeration time, mainly). A simple roux of butter and flour, to which I added 125mL or so of a light beef stock, with a splash of vinegar. It turns into a veloute, to which I then add mustard (seed and hot english) and a good amount of cheese (18month aged Mainland vintage cheddar). Cook and stir until it is liquid and silken, then pour/spread over toasts. Could have grilled it, didn’t. It would have looked better if I had, but it tasted good anyway.
- @mmmandar See if you can find a mountain to climb to see the new year in? >> 2 hours ago
- @franglophonic That seems fair. 2 hours ago
- @franglophonic Which is more than the Australian government or public is doing about the issue... 3 hours ago
- @Orcon 15 update free hours later, one would hope so 2 weeks ago
- @proximityNZ I'm jealous of the people who just got emergency alerts :( 2 weeks ago
- Heh... Presidential alert, is it? >< 2 weeks ago
- @orcon update on Hamilton outage? 2 weeks ago