Wanted something delicious for lunch, and Shannon Bennett had a nice complicated recipe for Welsh Rarebit, which I largely ignored in order to make a simpler version. (Out of impatience with the 3 hours suggested refrigeration time, mainly). A simple roux of butter and flour, to which I added 125mL or so of a light beef stock, with a splash of vinegar. It turns into a veloute, to which I then add mustard (seed and hot english) and a good amount of cheese (18month aged Mainland vintage cheddar). Cook and stir until it is liquid and silken, then pour/spread over toasts. Could have grilled it, didn’t. It would have looked better if I had, but it tasted good anyway.
- RT @lpolgreen: In 2012, politicians in North Carolina banned officials and developers from using climate science to plan for sea level rise… 1 week ago
- @ShakingStick Poisoning Pigeons in the Park g.co/kgs/V1ZXRB 1 week ago
- RT @Atrios: janelle monae as superman you cowards 1 week ago
- @nkjemisin Come to Worldcon in NZ. Don't leave. 2 weeks ago
- @shwep haloumi + chicken one? Jackpot? Is really good 4 weeks ago
- RT @EricCrampton: Doubling alcohol excise to deal with heavy drinkers is a bit like doubling petrol excise to deal with speeding. Sure, it… 1 month ago
- RT @PatrickCrewdson: "Either Collins believed in the vast Left-wing conspiracy to normalise child rape - which is scary. Or she didn't beli… 1 month ago